Main Article Content
Aims: The study of waste generation and composition in 6 types of tourism facility in Nusa Dua is carried out to analyze the waste processing potential and determine a proper waste management needed for tourism areas. Methodology and results: The primary data collection methods including field observations for existing waste separation, sampling of waste generation and composition at source, interviews with the facility’s management and characteristics of certain types of waste. Meanwhile, secondary data of waste generation and composition for hotels and the mall is acquired from waste collection services in Nusa Dua and previous studies for typical facilities. Nusa Dua produces around 11 tons of waste per day with hotels being the highest contributor of waste compared to other tourism facilities. The waste produced in Nusa Dua comprises around 70% of organic waste including food and yard waste and the remaining 30% includes paper, plastic, glass, metal, and other waste. Conclusion, significance and impact study: Aside from maximizing waste processing, Nusa Dua should execute campaigns to support the government’s regulation regarding the ban on styrofoam products, plastic bags, and plastic straws which gradually will reduce the amount of non-recyclable waste produced by the area.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Journal publication right belongs to journal management with the author's knowledge, while moral publicationn right belongs to the author.
- Formal legal aspect of the journal publication accessibility refers to the Creative Commons license Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivative (CC BY-NC-ND), which means that publication can be used for non-commercial purposes and in its original form (can not be modified).
- Each journal publication (print/electronic) is open access for educational purposes, research, and library. Beyond those, journal management is not responsible for copyright violations by certain parties.
Arbulu, I., Lozano, J., Rey-Maquieira J. 2013. Municipal Solid Waste Generation in Mature Destinations: An IPAT-type Model for Mallorca. Economía Agraria y Recursos Naturales. 13(1): 69-93. ISSN: 1578-0732.e-ISSN: 2174-7350.
Bah, Y.M. dan Artaria, M.D. 2021. Privatization Of Solid Waste Management: Opportunities And Challenges. Indonesian Journal of Urban and Environmental Technology. 4(2): 142-163. https://trijurnal.lemlit.trisakti.ac.id/index.php/urbanenvirotech/article/view/8219/pdf.
BPS Bali 2018. Bali Province in Number 2017. Bali: Badan Pusat Statistik, 2019.
Damanhuri, E., Padmi, T., Pengelolaan Sampah Terpadu, Penerbit ITB, Bandung, 2016, p.50.
IFC, Environmental, Health, and Safety Guidelines for Tourism and Hospitality Development, Report, Washington D.C., 2008.
Novita, D. M., Damanhuri, E. 2012. Heating Value Based on Composition and Characteristics of Municipal Solid Waste in Indonesia in Waste-to-Energy Concept. 7th Asian-Pacific Landfill Symposium Sustainable Solid Waste Management, Bali, Indonesia.
Pham Phu, S. T., Hoang, M. G., Fujiwara, T. 2018. Analyzing Solid Waste Management Practices for the Hotel Industry Global. J. Environ. Sci. Manage. 4(1): Winter, 19-30.
Son, L.H., Matsui, Y., Trangm D.T.T., Thanh, N.P. 2018. Estimation of the Solid Waste Generation and Recycling Potential of the Hotel Sector: A Case Study in Hue City, Vietnam. Journal of Environmental Protection, 9: 751-769.
Sunlu U. Environmental Impacts of Tourism. In: Camarda D. (ed.), Grassini L. (ed.). LocalResources and Global Trades: Environments and Agriculture in the Mediterranean Region. Bari: CIHEAM, 2003, p.263-270.
Widyarsana, I. M. W., Damanhuri, E., & Agustina, E. 2020. Municipal Solid Waste Material Flow in Bali Province, Indonesia. Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management. 22(2): 405-415. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10163-020-00989-5.
Widyarsana, I. M. W., Damanhuri, E., Agustina, E., &Aulia, R. N. 2019. Risk Assessment and Rehabilitation Potential of Municipal Solid Waste Landfills in Bali Province, Indonesia. International Journal of GEOMATE, 17(63): 164-171. https://doi.org/10.21660/2019.63.39057.